A cleanse?…Oh how very L.A of me
If you haven’t heard (ha, like it’s been in all the mags) I’ve been on some what of a health kick the past few months (it’s about time) resulting in: better skin, better sleep, over 2 stone weight loss and all round better positivity. Don’t get me wrong, I miss my Cadbury’s Dairy Milk soooo BAD! But the pro’s outweigh the con’s I guess (snooze)…
Cleansing is something I’ve tried in the past…I failed after day one, it was a 7 day cleanse that had terrible tasting juices and didn’t calm my appetite AT ALL! It was also way overpriced.
I decided to try again; this time I was in a better mind-set and my goal wasn’t to shed the pounds (yes it’s a benefit) but to please my body with a load of goodness.
The 5:2 cleanse from Plenish sounded like the perfect one for me. – 2 days of just drinking raw juices (not consecutive days) with the rest just continuing with my balanced diet.
Plenish have taken the hugely popular and well know 5:2 diet (approx 500-600 kcals a day) and spun it on its head. Instead of restricting your intake for the two days to such a small amount of calories that will probably result in one meal they have curated juices that fill your body with goodness whilst filling you up through-out the day.
You have the choice between the Men’s or Women’s – they are slightly different because men tend to need a higher intake of calories. Which ever pack you decide on they both come with a total of 12 juices for the week; 6 per day.
It’s suggested that on your two days of cleansing you don’t do too much activity…perf excuse for a lazy day. But on the other five it’s totally fine to exercise in fact it’s recommended.
Why Cleanse, doesn’t it just make you poop?
Well there are many reasons people might want to cleanse: improve skin and hair, more energy, better sleep, ease on your digestive system, the numerous health benefits and probably the most popular one – WEIGHT LOSS.
It may seem strange to think swapping your solids to nutritious liquids for a small amount of time can really be beneficial to your body. But when you think about it – most people ‘graze’ almost everyday of their lives. So when does your digestive system have a chance to have a little break?…well it doesn’t really. Swapping to liquids means your insides aren’t doing all the hard work to break down them solids, plus because the juices are made raw they retain all their goodness that can then be easily absorbed (I’m so technical, I know).
So I took part in the 5:2 cleanse for two-week (24 juices) and I ain’t looking back.
At first I was worried that I wouldn’t be able to hack it, because of my pervious experience with cleansing. I didn’t know if I could handle being hungry and my constant need to chew!
I’m not going to lie, I did find the no chewing part hard, really hard in fact. But guess what?…I was NEVER hungry! This isn’t a lie, I was truly so surprised myself. Because the juices are so filling and I was consuming one every few hours there was no time to even feel hungry. If you do feel like you can’t handle it, Plenish have created a few cheats to help curb those challenges, they come in a little info pack with your order.
Now for the taste…I’m sure your all dying to know. I will give you a brief run down being 100% honest as per –
- Fuel – (Cucumber, Spinach, Kale, Ginger, Lime) If I bought this in a café I would think I made a bad choice. It’s your classic very strong tasting ‘Green Juice’, you know the green juices that you can’t really single out to one flavour they just taste GREEN, well yeah, this is one. But it’s filled with 1kg of organic goodness so I just held my nose and downed it.
- 2 x Boost – (Cucumber, Romaine, Pear, Kale, Spinach, Lemon, Parsley, Ginger) I didn’t feel like this was as strong as ‘Fuel’ but it holds a very similar taste – ‘Greeny’ and bitter, I don’t know how else to describe it. Not to say either of them are unbearable to drink. It’s just not something I would think “ah you know what I could just drink?…”
- Kick – (Filtered Water, Lemon, Coconut Nectar, Lime, Red Chilli) Essentially a spicy lemonade…and by George is it spicy. I LOVE it! If you’re a citrus fan then this is a new ‘kick’ on the classic lemonade.
- Build – (Filtered Water, Cashew Nuts , Dates, Vanilla, Cinnamon, Himalayan Salt) A creamy and sweet vanilla shake; hard to think it’s actually good for you!
- Savour – (Filtered Water, Cashew Nuts, Dates, Cacao, Cinnamon, Himalayan Salt, Vanilla, Maca) Dark Choc lovers please stand up! This is definitely my favourite out of them all. It’s the perfect dark chocolate shake, I would drink this on the daily.
I found it really easy to fit in with my everyday schedule no matter what I was doing. It’s suggested to have a juice every two hours starting from 8AM till 8PM but of course this is flexible to your needs. Some mornings I didn’t start till 10AM and sometimes I would have my next juice a little early if I was starting to feel peckish. You basically do it however you need to make it the easiest for you.
I would suggest that between every juice to try to consume at least a pint of water, this will not only help curb hunger but its going to do wonders for your skin.
Because my plan was slightly customised it didn’t come with the labelled numbers of what order to drink the juices, I don’t feel like this really made a difference though because I drank them in a similar sequence, greens first then sweet.
So this is probably what most people are wanting to know – “How much weight did you loose?..” Well like I said I didn’t particularly do this because of the weight loss I did it more for wellbeing. However I did in fact lose some weight, just over 7 pounds to be exact which I think is incredible for just two weeks.
Won’t you just pile it back on? I guess I could…But if I continue on a balanced diet and exercise I don’t see why I should. The 5:2 has also enabled me to think more about what I’m shovelling into my enlarged gob, because that’s always been my biggest down fall, the habit of eating when I’m NOT even hungry.
Other than the weight loss I’ve had a great skin week! (big deal for me). I’ve been sleeping more than my usual full 4 hours whoooooop! And I’m just feeling all round FAN-bloody-TASTIC.
It’s a big fat (or slim) thumbs up from me. Thank you Plenish for this experience!
“Plenish is a brand I trust, with a helpful and supportive team to help every step of the way.”
Squish you later,